Thursday, April 16, 2009

Thankful Thursday

Today...I am thankful for being single.

{screeching brakes}

"WHAT'S THAT?" you say...."You're happy to be single???!!" "Are you CRAZY??!"

Here's my reasoning (I actually do have a reason.......today, at least..haha)

As I was lying in my bed last night, saying my prayers...I began my usual "talk" with God. Something you may not know about me is that I will lay down in bed around 10 and maybe not go to sleep until midnight....because I'll just talk and talk and talk with God. I actually talk out loud...in a soft voice, as if I'm talking to a friend that is seated right next to me. I cherish these times at night...It's just me and Him...no distractions...no noises...just me and Him.

Last night, as I was "chatting"...I began to get emotional about a few things...I talked with Him about marriage and children. As I do every night, I told Him that I will trust His plan and be patient...and then, I. Lost. It. For some reason..I just felt overwhelmed for about 5 minutes...

Then, suddenly...I felt such a peace come across me...such love and overwhelming joy. I couldn't help but smile...a BIG smile. I realized that when I do get married....when I do have children....this sort of "alone" time will be completely different.

Also...I have such an amazing opportunity right now, being single, to do things that I will be unable to do once I have a family to take care of.

So...even though I have my moments of frustration...I now have more clarity and understanding...and, I'm happy. Truly and completely happy...

I hope you all have a beautiful and thankful Thursday...we all have something to be thankful for...what is your blessing today?

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Summer,

This is soo good! I remember my single years and how much I enjoyed the "alone" time with God before bed. It's definitely different when you're married! The alone times when I especially talk to God are usually when I'm taking a shower and driving in my car. Enjoy your days of singleness! I know it's easy to get anxious and lonesome, but this is one time in your life when you can enjoy a lot of one on one time with God!

Take care,
Kelly

Joyeful said...

Summer, this is so beautiful!!! YOU are beautiful! I'm sure God is hogging you right now *wink* No, he really wants the absolute best of the best of the best for you and it is so encouraging to hear you embracing the season you are in (I don't know if I could do it in your shoes!)! LIke Paul, you have learned how to be content in every circumstance and that is so powerful!

P.S. You are so right that your times with God change when you're married (I take every chance I can get--and stay up way too late =) I look back at my "singlehood" and wish I would have viewed it as you do!

Love ya!!
Joye