Thursday, June 25, 2009

Thankful Thursday

"Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them." Romans 1:32


This verse was brought to my attention today in an email I was reading. And, the girl went on to say this:

It is not our job to convict or correct the lost, but neither should we encourage the satisfaction of sinful temptations. I think it is a fine line where we build meaningful relationships but don’t get so involved that there isn’t a visible difference between our behavior and theirs. While we are called to witness and minister to the lost, we are also commanded to be in the world but not of the world. It is something that has to be consistently brought to the forefront of our minds in order to be obedient.

She then asked these questions:

1.) Do I find myself approving of others' sinful habits?

2.) What's the first step I can take to be able to stand against sinful desires?

3.) What might happen if I offend a friend by not approving of their sinful behavior? Can I live with it? Is honoring God worth it?


This seems to be something that so many of us cope with throughout our lives. We have friends from all walks of life, and feel the need to please them...or to have their approval. And, that sometimes causes us to let go of our own beliefs and we end up on the wrong and unrighteous path. There is only One with Whom we need approval...and it is Him we must please.

I am thankful for ALL of my friends...in ALL walks...throughout my entire life. They have each taught me a lesson, brought me joy...or have shown me what I need to improve about myself.

Lord...please help me to remember that YOU are the only One I must please. And, let me not be mislead by false feelings or emotions. Please help me take a stand against sinful acts and not to blindly and cowardly approve of them. Thank you, my dear sweet God...I do love you so much. Amen.

1 comment:

Joyeful said...

Wow. Those are some amazing words. It makes me step back for a moment and re-evaluate some friendships--I want to be sure that I am loving them with Christ's love and Christ never backed down from the Truth!

Thank you, Summer, for just being you--a wise, witty, and wonderful friend!!